Sunday, May 5, 2013

It's a girl!

Here she is.




Her name is Lacy and weighs about 40 pounds of metal and electronics. No burping necessary, threads itself and comes with a stitch regulator! Doesn't do embroidery -- a conscious decision since it is not really my thing but watch me change my mind in 6 months...



So yes, I am so excited I am forgetting to eat, something that has never happened before. We were worried the sewing table's hydraulic lift would give way, but it did not (so far). We've successfully practiced on a chevron block, a binding, HSTs and two flags for To Boston with Love.



It's been a while since I had a hand-sewing project, so the reverse applique heart was a treat. Really enjoyed making these, which sounds strange since the association is not a happy one. I hope they bring some cheer.

Lacy is staying at the beach condo for now while my other baby (a much loved Pfaff) is going to Orlando. Decadent? Maybe, but try packing and moving a 40lb beast every time you shuttle between Cocoa Beach and Orlando... Gets old very quickly, plus I don't think these machines like to be moved.

On another subject, here comes the laugh of the day...I took a class with Susan Cleveland at Quiltcon. A marvelous piecer who was telling us about (and selling) a plastic mallet that, she said, helps flatten those bulky seams. Seeing her work, I decided to invest in it. I did a demo for the guild (they laughed quite a bit) and brought it to the beach.


You are supposed to give a shot of steam over the seam bundle, then whack it a couple of times and immediately apply more steam. So I did use it on two seams and ended up with... craters on the ironing board.

Can you see how the mesh is all distorted? Duh.




The weather is magnificent, so I've declared tapas night -- or eat-whatever-is-about-to-go-bad. Next week I'll start on this book:



I found this in Tuesday Morning for all of $5. The author's favorite ingredients are unusual and appealing: galangal, carrot juice, miso, chutney, yuzu juice (wish I could get this here. Had it in Kyoto for breakfast and was a revelation).




3 comments:

  1. I want to hear all about your new machine as soon as you get to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new "baby"!!! She sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WTG for getting the new machine! I'm very happy for you.
    Looks like you'll need a new ironing board soon if you keep banging your seams! LOL

    ReplyDelete